Search with Google

Google
 

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Makin' Bacon Buns

Homemade bread is my secret weapon. It's an earthy scent that wafts out to welcome friends to my table. For my family, it's a distraction to the fact I'm serving leftovers....again.

One meal often feeds into another at my house. Leftover rice becomes suppli, leftover grilled vegetables turn into a Mediterranean soup and leftover pizza becomes, well, breakfast. When we use all of our food I feel we're honouring the farmers who provided the food for our tables. I've also inherited a frugal streak from my grandmother who said that you could make soap from leftover bacon fat. Hmmm, I wonder what that would smell like?

As a result, I've had the bacon fat on my mind when I came across a recipe for Bacon Buns from the website A Year in Bread http://ayearinbread.earthandhearth.com/index.html
Hands down, this was one of the most clear and easy recipes for bread that I've used. The texture was fantastic even though I didn't have whole wheat flour - but I'll make sure to include it next time.

Now ghost of my Pasta alla Carbonara is reincarnated and the leftover legacy lives. My grandma will be so proud.

4 comments:

Catie said...

i bet the cupcakes didn't need to be reincarnated eh?

BC said...

They had a short but happy life.

Kevin said...

Nice buns.{g}

BC said...

"You know, I really don't think I need buns of steel. I'd be happy with buns of cinnamon."

Ellen DeGeneres