Search with Google

Google
 

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Craving Salsa


A Corona, a bag of nachos and some freshly made salsa and I'm a happy woman on a hot day like today.

The nip of fresh garlic and burn of jalapeno peppers is one of my summer snacking pleasures. When I use fresh ingredients the flavour of salsa always varies. Every batch has its own unique bright fresh taste. Unfortunately even though I love cilantro, I never have it on hand at a convenient time. If it is in my fridge, it has usually become a bag of green slime by the time I think of using it.

I know canned tomatoes and tomato paste are not fresh ingredients but open them at the last minute if it makes you feel better. Tomato paste adds a smoother consistency. Feel free to dice a whack of fresh tomatoes instead of using canned if you want to feel particularly virtuous. I'll be on the patio when you're finished.
.....

Tomato Salsa

1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, 796 mL
4 fresh ripe tomatoes, diced small
1 large onion, diced small (Vidalia if you have it)
3 finely minced jalapeno peppers
3 cloves finely minced garlic
1 small can tomato paste 5&1/2 oz, 156 mL
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 45 mL
1 tsp sea salt or pickling salt, 5 mL
2 tsp cumin, 10 mL or 3 Tbsp finely minced fresh cilantro

12 pack of Corona, chilled
Limes cut into wedges to fit the bottles of Corona

Mix the first nine ingredients together. Add more garlic or salt to taste. Makes a party amount - 6 cups/ 1.5 L....and that's why you need that much Corona - for your friends.

No comments: