Search with Google

Google
 

Friday, December 14, 2007

What's in a Name?

My husband and I spent a lot of time choosing names for our children. There are a lot of things we considered when we carefully mulled over each name.

1) the way it sounded
2) what it meant
3) name after someone?
4) don't name after someone?
5) can both sides of the family pronounce the name

But I discovered that our children have different ideas about the suitability of their names.

When it came time for the kindergarten interview, my youngest was excited. We sat and chatted with the teacher while he coloured and played. The organized teacher gave him a crown that he could decorate with his name. This was for the first few days of school so she could learn everyone's names. When it came time to write his name, he stated that it was Griff.

Not the careful well thought out name we chose, but Griff.

The teacher looked at me in confusion. I quickly cleared up the confusion by stating his real name. But this was not the end to the renaming games.

A group of my oldest son's friends came to work on a school project and bellowed at him "Jex, are you coming?"

Jex?

That wasn't what his family has been calling him.

Not to be outdone, my daughter is now known to her friends as "Zoe".

I admire my children's independence and spirit. In fact, I think my husband and I should join this game.

This year we will wish people a Merry Christmas from Laurel and Hardy and their three children, Griff, Zoe and Jex.

2 comments:

Catie said...

I only knew about Griff (he signed some artwork with both names - so I wouldn't be confused). But the other two? Hilarious, but does my niece remember that our cat is named Zoe? I will have to call and ask her sometime.

Nicole said...

lol this is too funny. i dont even know your real names and this made me laugh. i found your site on foodie blog.