Search with Google

Google
 

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Pumpkin Custard


When I discovered the Moosewood Restaurant cookbooks, it was a revelation. I didn't know anything about vegetarian cooking but I easily followed the recipes. The food was delicous. This recipe is from the award winning recipe book Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favourites. My family loved the creamy consistency of the custard.

Pumpkin Custard

This recipe does not unmold easily so it's better to serve it straight from the ramekin.

2 cups cooked pureed pumpkin, (1/2L)
1&1/2 cups evaporated skimmed milk (375 mL)
2 eggs
3 egg whites
3/4 cup maple syrup or brown sugar (185 mL)
1 tsp cinnamon (5 mL)
1/2 tsp nutmeg (2.5 mL)
1/2 tsp ginger (2.5 mL)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Prepare eight 6 ounce baking cups with a light coat of cooking spray. (oh oh, I think I just understood why it wasn't so easy to unmold) Place cups in shallow flat bottomed pan.

Whirl all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour into cups. Pour boiling water around the cups into the shallow pan. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool to room temperature then refrigerate.

Serve chilled.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I have heard such wonderful things about the Moosewood Restaurant cookbooks. This recipe sounds very tasty!

jenny said...

I think it was a Moosewood book that got me hooked on cooking in the first place!

The pumpkin custard looks delicious. Will definitely have to give it a go.

Happy cooking and blogging.