Search with Google

Google
 

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Lime Roasted Corn on the Cob

Corn season is here and we are enjoying corn on the cob from the local farmers market. Corn season where I lived as a child meant "Corn Roasts". There would be huge pots of furiously boiling water and a stream of fresh corn cobs plunged into the water and fished out onto paper plates. It would be served steaming with a generous dollop of butter then sprinkled with salt and pepper. There was also a side of cold beer. But I was just a kid and beer wasn't on my menu.

The droopy plate was carried back to the picnic table; all the kids did their best not to let the steaming cob roll over the edge and onto the ground. We would alternate the fingertips that held the cob so each finger would be scalded in turn. A water and butter mixture dripped down to our elbows. Every bite would leave corn stuck between our teeth.

The years that I had braces were agony for me.

My husband was surprised when he came to Canada since like many Europeans, they considered corn on the cob food for animals. But now he appreciates it just as much as I do. He loves his cob slathered in butter. Since I'm an adult now I have my corn cob roasted and served with a wedge of lime and side of Corona.

Lime Roasted Corn on the Cob

1 lime cut into wedges
Sea salt, pepper
Corn on the cob, left in the husk

Oven mitts!!!!

Soak the unhusked corn, in a bucket of water or sink full of water. Light your barbecue and put the wet corn directly onto the grill. The husk will prevent the corn from burning and becoming tough. You must remember to turn the cobs since it is still possible to burn the corn. The husks will dry out and blacken. Check one of the cobs by opening slightly. Remove from the heat and leave in the husk until you are ready to serve. They will stay warm in the husk for a few minutes.

Rub a wedge of lime on the corn and sprinkle with salt.

Put another lime wedge in your Corona and enjoy.

No comments: