Search with Google

Google
 

Monday, January 19, 2009

Lick lick...

We're trying to work with three languages in our family and keep some semblance of normality.

My children speak French, but I do not. My husband, two oldest children and I, speak English and Italian. However, our family lapsed into English only when the youngest was born. It's hard to yell in a second language. Poor duck, my youngest doesn't speak a word of Italian but I thought we could work on our Italian skills as a fun educational activity.

So, we're introducing Italian words for familiar things. Words for cookies, ice cream, and other sweets are very popular in our household.

Yesterday we introduced "lecca lecca". I asked the young munchkin what he thought the word could mean since in English it literally meant "lick lick".

We told him to think of something you lick...

He thought about it for a moment and proudly announced, "The table!"

Yep, normal.

(Lecca lecca means lollipop)

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Why is it I have no problems visualizing that? :-)

Anonymous said...

That's so cool that your kids speak 3 different languages!