Search with Google

Google
 

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Turkey Tales Two

The last time I attempted turkey was a over year ago on the eve of my sister in laws wedding. We were on a rotating cook schedule devised by my mother-in-law. Since I have experience in cooking for crowds, I grabbed the wedding eve spot.

Turkey was the decision.

The night before turkey day, we pulled the semi frozen turkey out of the bar fridge to assess the state of thaw. It was still solid so we left it on top of the fridge for a short time.

Everyone was in a tizzy of activity and I forgot to check the turkey. In fact, everyone forgot the turkey. Until the next day when it was time to put it in the oven.

The house was deserted. One of my mother in laws friends was with me when we realized that the turkey had been left on top of the fridge...

all night...

all day yesterday...

half the morning...

The outside of the turkey was room temperature. The inside of the turkey was room temperature. Our eyes met. Oh fudge!

It was a perfect set up to kill the wedding party and half the family. I was finally going to kill someone with a turkey! I am in so much trouble. (This is an Italian family I married into.)

I panicked and sent my husband out shrieking "Buy chickens, buy chickens!"

This was the final revised menu.

Oven Roasted Chickens
Hazelnut Cranberry Wild Rice
Scalloped Potatoes with Cream
Green Salad dressed with EVOO and Balsamic vinegar
Marsala Poached Pears with Cinnamon Stick, Vanilla and Orange


No one was the wiser except my mother-in-law. Thank goodness I have an understanding Italian mother-in-law.

She really appreciates when someone doesn't poison her.

...and I make a mean roast chicken.

5 comments:

Catie said...

Why don't I remember this. You have only two sister in laws and only one location would allow for mother in law friends - therefore I guess this would be my wedding eve ... I think I might remember the pears.

BC said...

We did good ... and you were a little busy at the time.

Chrissy said...

your turkey tribulations are hilarious! here's hoping you manage to achieve a trouble-free turkey this year :D

BC said...

I just got this recipe for brining a turkey and I'm really tempted to try it. I'll wait for after Canadian Thanksgiving. There will be less pressure.

BC said...

I have three sister in laws!